Tuesday, March 2, 2010

New Jersey: 10 Reasons to Love It


Okay, I realize that I'm getting carried away, but when was the last time you spent a Tuesday at home with a 4-yr. old and a 5-yr. old? Besides, one of my most uber-cool young readers out in Seattle has recently given me permission to write about anything I want, and I want to write about the Top Ten Reasons to Love NEW JERSEY:

10) It has the courage (or effrontery) to call itself "the Garden State."

9) It has the Pine Barrens; an episode of The Sopranos is set in the Pine Barrens, and it ends with a really beautiful, haunting aria sung by...a soprano.

8) It can serve as a sort of Mecca for people struggling with identity crises.

7) People come from all over the world to pump gas there. (In fact, you're not even allowed to pump your own gas in the Garden State.)

6) There are some really interesting boulder fields near the Delaware Water Gap.

5) The Jersey Shore has its charms, especially Cape May. It's way better than the sterility of the Outer Banks.

4) The way New York Governor David Paterson intones the name "New Jersey" on Saturday Night Live.

3) The Palisades make it look defensible from a distance.

2) There really is some rugged and scenic countryside in the northwest corner of the state.

1) It just makes its neighbors look so good.

Okay, I wanted to write another Top Ten List for Ohio, but this blog has too many faithful readers in the Buckeye State, and I should go read a Dr. Seuss book to my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Congratulations on making it past the Google Comment Dragons. You have the floor...