Thursday, June 3, 2021

Allegheny Pilgrimage: Day 8, Saying Goodbye

 

This is the Nebraska Bridge, which sits low against the water.  It's where my pilgrimage was originally supposed to end until I wound up paddling all the way deep into Tionesta Lake.  There's no paddling under this old bridge; you have to pull out, cross it, and put in on the other side.  The water is deep here, and still.  Fishers stare.  On the last morning of my trip, Wednesday, I had to paddle against the mild current and back up here from my lovely spot on Tionesta Lake.  My friend was meeting me here at noon to take me back to my car, which was parked all the way up at near the New York State line.  It was a pensive morning commute on the water.  I did see an Army helicopter buzzing over the lake as I was packing up.  Whoever was driving it didn't see me, and though I didn't want to get away with anything illegal--like staying the night without permission--I scurried along before he flew back around and discovered that I'd been camping on the lakeshore.  By the time he returned, I was just some kayaker out on the water...
The red line on the left half of the map is the portion of the North Country Trail that I traveled on foot.
Forgive the glare.  The blue line in the middle of the map is the course that I traveled by water on Tionesta Creek.  The drive back to my car took an hour and a half!  I couldn't believe it was so far away.  And what lessons do I bring away from my Allegheny Pilgrimage?  I don't know yet.  I look at these photos and realize that to anyone but myself, it's all just trees and water.  I spent less time meditating and praying than I expected--and I spent a lot more time than I expected just navigating, and worrying about finding a campsite, and worrying about chafing, and spring allergies, and aching feet.  But I believe that spiritual practices bear their fruits later, after we go back to the everyday stuff of life.  It was a wonderful time in a place that I love.  Restorative, invigorating, challenging, and life-affirming.  And for all of that, I'm so glad I did it.  And glad to be home.  That's the mark of any good vacation, or trip, or hike: It makes you glad to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Congratulations on making it past the Google Comment Dragons. You have the floor...