Saturday, July 3, 2010

Rainbow Gathering 2010

It's been longstanding policy on this blog not to show photos of people. I like people as much as the next guy. But The Journal is meant to provide its readers with a feel for the forest, the solitude and silence.

And yet, I couldn't resist taking the better part of a free Saturday to trek out into the regions of the ANF where "The Rainbow Gathering" is taking place...just to see what's going on. The Rainbow Family are a diverse bunch of people from all over the country who get together once a year to generate postive energy for world peace

The annual gathering always takes place in one of our national forests and culminates on July 4 in a few hours of silent meditation, followed by group prayers (mantras, orisons, petitions, etc.) for peace.

This is the third time the ANF has hosted the gathering since its inception in 1972. I think that speaks well of us.

And so, while I usually go to the forest for solitude, I just couldn't resist the draw of 12,000 visitors from all over the nation camped out right here in my beloved Allegheny National Forest. I just had to go and see the event with my own eyes.

What I really wish is that I wasn't so camera shy. There were 12,000 bohemian-types milling around smoking weed and strumming guitars, and I was the only person with a camera...(and no, I wasn't smoking weed...or strumming a guitar for that matter). I would have loved to get close up photos of the "sacred belly dancers," or the nudists dancing for the sun, or the way-weird, handwritten signage all over the place. The banner in this photo reads, "Welcome to eternal life."

These several candid photos cannot capture the pulsating beat of African style drums, the chanting of the dancers, or the smells of patchouli, woodsmoke, and marijuana that filled the air. At the entrance to the 2-mile hike back toward the main clearing, pictured here, there's a bright, handritten banner that reads "Welcome Home." It's a little misleading, since you still have to hike 2 full miles into the forest to find the clearing where the bulk of the activities take place. But the banner marks the entrance to that long homeward trail. It also marks "A Camp," the only place on the grounds where alcohol is permitted (indeed, encouraged!).

They were friendly people. Most of them greeted me warmly. Some even yelled, "Welcome home." It was a strange greeting for me because--well--I felt proud to be their host here in the ANF, the patch of woods that I regularly study, and survey, and explore. They're good folks, if a little out-of-the-ordinary. The Rainbow Gathering is like a big, old-time campmeeting for folks who understand the importance of peace. Of course, just like at the old-time campmeetings, there are a few scoundrels who follow the crowds looking to take advantage. But I'm glad the Rainbow Family includes the ANF in their circuit.

It was a pleasure to see the wilderness hills alive with tents, to hear music ringing out in forest glen, to see hundreds and hundreds of cars lining FR119, an otherwise little-used track that skirts the edges of the Hickory Creek Wilderness Area.

4 comments:

  1. This is a beautifully written post! My family and I were not able to attend this year's gathining as it was a 4 day drive for us from Arizona and one we could not fathom with a toddler :)
    I came across your blog while searhing for information about the 2010 gathering. It warms my heart to know that someone can appreciate what Rainbows do and what the true intentions are, praying for a better planet. To have someone that knows and respects their forest and to have an open heart in weloming in all these people is a blessing! You know, you can find and meet up with any of us every year in some forest and you will be welcomed wiht open arms, everyone is!
    I should also mention, rest assured, the forest will be treated with the greatest respect and every bit of trash down to the tiniest piece of lint will be cleaned. Paths and campgrounds will be restored and new seeds will be planted with the assistance of local forest rangers.
    Sun~
    littleplaceunderthesun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious how the clean up will go. I am hiking Hickory next week and drive up to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sun: Thanks for your kind words; it was a joy to host your event here in the Allegheny.

    @Anonymous: Feel free to write again and let us know what you find out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a website somewhere that I can't find or remember the way to find it, but my late bestfriend was there In 2010. There was pictures of the rainbow wedding with grandfather Woodstock marrying people. My friend Danielle was one of the people who got rainbow married that day. I am searching for the website to find these pictures. I vividly remember that kne of the wedding pics it was q photo of someoen saying their vows qnd the photo included a very naked grandpa Woodstock (🤣🤣) although we all know nudity wasn't uncommon at the gathering lol . He had nothing but a robe on. Haha. Just saying that to I guess give someone a better idea of what set of photos I'm trying to find, her and her man were kinda popular amust the people around. Her name was Danielle but she went by ginger, and her bfs name is Will. I can't remember of or what their names they might of went by if they had nick names. But yeah hopefully someoneay have remember them or know of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Congratulations on making it past the Google Comment Dragons. You have the floor...