Saturday, February 27, 2010

Clear Creek in the Snow

Not a prime day
for trekking into the Big Woods,
since
the snow accumulation
has been overwhelming,
but you take the day you're given.

Trails were impassable
to all but snowshoers,
and bushwacking
was out of the question.
I was in the neighborhood
and ended up at
Clear Creek State Park.

Last fall, I accidentally rediscovered Clear Creek
while exploring the southern end of the ANF.
The streamside beach looked strangely familiar,
and it all came back to me:
My grandmother (and favorite adult)
used to take us swimming there.
She called the place "Clear Crick."

That weird rediscovery
and those memories
make Clear Crick
a sacred place for me.

Hiking the gated road
(closed for the season)
back to the log cabins
by the Clarion River
was good enough.
It was great to hang out
on the snowy porches
of empty cabins,
watching the snow fall,
absorbing the silence.

Getting the old Toyota
up out of that valley
nearly killed me. Twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Congratulations on making it past the Google Comment Dragons. You have the floor...