Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Pigeon Run Area

In keeping with my original promise to provide a "backwoods discovery guide," I'm posting some photos of the area around Pigeon Run and Spring Creek, although I'm fairly certain that the body of water pictured here is a tributary called Hunter Creek. This area of the ANF crosses over into State Game Lands #28 without warning, and if you really cared about the border, you would have some difficulty keeping track of it.

Given the relatively tiny readership of this obscure blog, I sometimes give myself license to rant or wax philosophical. (Hence the angry posting below.) Alas, that's what happens when you're at home with the kids all day on a Tuesday. In any case, the hike described as "Pigeon Run Falls" by Jeff Mitchell is great if you're in a hurry. If you've got a little extra time, follow his directions to the waterfalls, then cross Pigeon Run at the falls, and follow it back downstream until you reach an old forest road going up the mountainside to your right. This road trails off into some of the most beautiful, loneliest country in the Southern reaches of the ANF. These photos were taken on a cell phone, and they don't do justice. But the valleys are deep and steep. The pathway runs right along the edge with great views to the various streams below.

I don't know why I can't just blog about theology like other ministers. I have close friends who never even read what I write here because the Allegheny National Forest isn't a pressing matter in their lives. They look at this page and say, "It's just trees. Why aren't there any people in your pix?" I think it's because I mostly go to the woods to be alone.

Anyhow, unless I miss my guess (which is really unlikely), the narrow track over the mountain above Pigeon Run Falls--described above--winds all the way north to Four Corners and eventually becomes a road that joins PA66 at the big Chaffee intersection.

2 comments:

  1. I had to read this once Michelle posted your blogspot... It reminds me of the joy I felt as a kid when wandering in the woods behind our house, discovering this old buried house-type structure in the woods behind our house where they used to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where? Wilcox? Is it still there?

    ReplyDelete

Congratulations on making it past the Google Comment Dragons. You have the floor...