Friday, October 2, 2009

Local Medicinal Plants

















So I realize that if I never publish this blog to the web (which I haven't) almost no one will ever find it. I'm debating whether to link it to my facebook page, but I don't like the idea of always writing to an audience. I mean, I write for an audience every week, and although I love it, it's also pretty draining....

My little family and I were camped at Twin Lakes--arguably one of the most beautiful and least discovered "recreation areas" in the National Forest--when a ranger came and did a little spiel about useful plants in local Seneca Indian folklore. Collecting recipes for herbal cures was one of my hobbies when I lived in Africa, and so I was kind of interested. Here's what the ranger said. (And if you try any of these at home and then sue me when you go blind or lose hearing in your left ear, I'll be really mad.)
ASH LEAVES (fourth photo): Leaves of the ash tree contain sallicylic acid, just like aspirin. They can be made into a tea and used for pain relief.
ASTER LEAVES (third photo): These are edible and used in cooking and salads. I think they taste like grass, with just a soupcon of...grass.
COLTSFOOT (second photo): This is ground and used for coughs. Apparently a pretty widespread home remedy.
HEALALL (first photo): This familiar plant with the tiny purple flowers was used in all kinds of concoctions to heal wound, illnesses, and fevers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Congratulations on making it past the Google Comment Dragons. You have the floor...